Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blog Assignment 11



Ms. Kathy Cassidy's Class

I really enjoyed watching this video of Ms. Cassidy's class. I thought Ms. Cassidy's approach to the use of technology in the classroom is great. I saw that they use the Smart board for more than an upgraded projector. They were actually doing problems and conducting Skype interviews, as well. I also thought it was really good that she had laptops in the classroom for the children to access. The fact that the students (in first grade!) have blogs is really amazing. It was nice to hear the children say how the blogs benefit them with their reading, writing, and spelling skills. Internet safety is also a really important issue, and I'm grateful that Ms. Cassidy has discussed this with the students.

There was so much technology in her classroom! I'm honestly amazed at how she has given the students the opportunity to explore the different types of technology they may encounter in the world. I saw that the children get to use Flip cameras, which is also really great. Plus, the communication and sharing that the classroom has with other students is extremely beneficial to their learning, I'm sure. It's very inspiring to see a classroom where this kind of integration is occurring.

I will definitely use the Smart board, if I have one in the classroom. I will also seek out the proper training, so that I can use the board to the class's ultimate advantage. I think it's awesome, once again, that she was able to have a good number of laptops in the classroom. I think having classroom blogs would be a good way to facilitate further learning in the classroom. Internet safety might be a problem in this situation, but it would be something I would discuss with the students to make sure they knew the dangers of the internet. That would be another lesson about how it's beneficial to know the good and bad about something. I thought that bringing the Nintendo DS into class to learn about problem-solving, teamwork, and sharing was another good idea...however, I could see this becoming a possible problem. A system of "taking turns" could be established, though, that may help with this (rules vs. procedures).

Ultimately, I think the benefits of Ms. Cassidy's approach is that she is preparing these children for the world they are about to discover. As they get older, technology will change, and innovations will be made so often to the point where anyone may have trouble keeping up. By teaching children the skills they need to listen, adapt, and learn, they will have a very good chance for success.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    You made a great point when you stated ... I will also seek out the proper training, so that I can use the board to the class's ultimate advantage. We as educators have to start taking control of our learning if we are going to help our students take control of their learning! We have to take the initiative to learn new things so that we can become better educators. The cycle of apathy will not cease until we get some initiative to become better learners. There is a whole lot of resources out there for us to use and all we have to do is take the first step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda! My name is Brooke and I am your C4C #11! Great job on you blog assignment #11! I agree Ms. Cassidy did an excellent job bringing technology into her classroom! It is hard to believe they were first graders already learning about technology! I agree, I think it is very important for us as educators to begin to teach our students at an early age to prepare them for their future! Keep up the great work, your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete