Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blog Assignment 5

A picture of the Earth with headphones on it.
Eagle Nest Radio & Class Blog

I was really impressed with this third grade's class blog. I think it's great that the students are experiencing how to communicate with technology to the rest of the world. This is also a way to keep the students interested by giving them a type of long-term project to work on that is fun and educational. While visiting the Eagle Nest Radio & Class Blog, I learned about Rome in their audio podcast "Roamin' with the Ancient Romans". I learned that Roman aqueducts were an integral part of Roman society. Also, the Colosseum could be filled with water to simulate sea battles. The students in the podcast also mentioned that watching gladiators die was a sort of entertainment for citizens in ancient Rome, like going to the movies is for people today. The gladiators trained in special schools, took a special oath, and fought for glory as well as their lives.

I was very impressed with this blog, and I hope I am able to do a similar project with my class(es) one day! The educational aspect of this podcast was very strong, and I think I'd like to include such a focus in the group podcast.

Langwitches

I really liked the writing style in this blog. I also liked the subtitle of "The Magic of Learning" for its connection to the blog's main title. I explored the most recent post titled "Space Real Estate Agents?". Again, I was extremely impressed with the work these students accomplished. The sound effects, music, quality of dialogue, and the creativity presented in this podcast by a class of fourth graders is truly inspiring. I appreciate how this educator has enabled these children to explore their opportunities for learning by teaching them about podcasting and technology.

I really liked the sound effects and music in this podcast, so I think it would be a good idea to include these in the group podcast.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale

In this podcast (The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom), I really liked the idea of enabling students to review by listening to a recorded lecture. This reaches out to students who learn better through audio examples and repetition. I also agree podcasting can be beneficial as it addresses higher levels of thinking in Bloom's taxonomy. I like how podcasting can enable absent children to learn even thought they can't be at school.

In the end, I liked how the video switched back and forth between audio and video. I think this is a good idea for our group podcast, as well.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda,

    Your responses were great this week because in every reflection, you mentioned how you will apply what you have learned (through your group podcast and potentially in your future classroom). I see that you are a Spanish minor, podcasting seems to lend itself to foreign language possibilities. What ideas do you have?

    Good work! Did you have any questions along the way?

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete