Monday, September 13, 2010

Blog Assignment 3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today



I thought that this film was very moving. I liked how it mentioned that a student's day can be pretty long. How a student spends these hours can be varied, however. I also liked how the project involved students filling out surveys for the purpose of providing the information in this film. I gathered that the statistics presented by the individual students was from this survey in the document.

What I saw in this video was a bunch of students questioning the quality of their education. Maybe some of them feel like the methods used by their teachers are a bit outdated and need to be geared towards their interests and learning styles, not the teacher's.

In a way, I don't feel like this video represents my college experience. If the sentiments of the students in the video are what I think they are, I don't think that my professors are too outdated or unwilling to modernize their teaching strategies. Almost all of my classes have a class website, we are suggested links and web pages for our intellectual development, and some of my classes even employ the use of a Smart Board (I really enjoy those lessons). I did like how the video allowed many students to speak out about their feelings concerning higher education.


"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines

Ms. Hines' post was about how the actual technology is not needed in the classroom to teach the students the skills necessary to use said technology. I like her approach to this area of educating students. I think that for many teachers, certain types of technology may not be available to them due to expense, for example.

In It's Not About the Technology, Ms. Hines mentions four things she believes teachers must embrace in order to truly teach their students in this new age of learning. First, she says that teachers must devote themselves to being life-long learners and keeping up with the times, in reference to technology and the tools associated with its research. Second, she uses a physics reference to explain that working harder is not necessarily working smarter. She believes that learning isn't the same for every student or every teacher, but learning is still learning. It has value for us all. Third, she emphasizes the importance of proper training and mindset of the teachers who will be presented with such innovative technological tools for the classroom, such as interactive whiteboards. Fourth, she states that an educator can be a 21st century teacher without technology. This can be done by identifying core outcomes for students which include different themes, skills, creative elements, critical thinking lessons, and media-focused objectives.


Karl Fisch: "Is It Okay To Be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?"

In Is It Okay To Be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher? Karl Fisch explains his view and opinions about technology and education. I like the passion that Mr. Fisch demonstrates in his post. It's very clear that he feels strongly (in an alternating pattern, he admits) about educators educating themselves about technological innovations. I really understand where he's coming from when he states that it's something that needs to seriously be addressed.

I think that while I was in high school, I wasn't too concerned about being up to date with new technology. Sure, I knew how to work a laptop, use Microsoft Office, download a ring tone to my cell phone, and create a music play list. However, I don't remember really having the desire to explore. Now, being in this class, I realize the importance of learning on my own. I have a responsibility to my future students to be an example. It seems as though that will be pretty difficult, if I don't hone these skills now. Another thing, I know time can be as elusive to teachers as their roll list, but why wouldn't a teacher jump at the chance to learn something new? To have something they can relate to their students with?


Gary Hayes Social Media Count

Wow. This site is really astonishing. The high amount in each category and the rate at which they all increase is amazing. The message I get from this count is that technology plays a very active part in people's lives. It really makes me think about the technological savvy that most, if not all, of my future students may have. I think that this is another sign, of many, that as a future educator, it is my responsibility to realize that technology is becoming a larger part of people's lives everyday. In order to be the best teacher I can be, this means I will also need to make technology and the knowledge of its innovations a dynamic part of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    I thought you made some great points in your post. My classroom experience has been much like yours; however, I know a lot of students who have been in classes like the one depicted. I feel so bad for them because I think college is supposed to be fun and engaging. I love going to class, and I know I will always learn something that will benefit me in the future.

    I also think Mrs. Hines' post is excellent. She makes four great points, and I absolutely agree with all of them. I also strongly agree with Karl Fisch. I think it is so important to know how to use technology properly so we can incorporate it into our classroom. We shouldn't rely on technology, but we should definitely use it to enhance the classroom environment.

    You asked why wouldn't a teacher jump at the chance to learn something new? I think it is because a lot of teachers that are still present in public schools like the familiar feeling they have. They don't want to change the way they operate their classroom; therefore, they do not care to learn new things. My SED 340 teacher, Dr. Santoli, told us that every year she makes new lesson plans. Her husband also asks her why she goes to the trouble because she is teaching the same class. She told us that she is always learning new things so she has to incorporate them into the new school year. She said that if she didn't school would be so boring. I think she has a great perspective on this. Dr. Strange also does this. Every time he or students find new teachers, resources, or tools, he makes sure to use them the next semester. I wish every teacher conducted class this way, and I know I will definitely follow in Dr. Santoli and Dr. Strange's footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Ms. Hines as well. I believe we are first and foremost learners and then teachers. We do need technology but that is only to enhance the educational process. If we focus on these things first, I think that we will all make successful teachers in the long run! Good to see your in EDM 310 as well! Great Post on all topics!

    ReplyDelete