Sunday, December 5, 2010

Summary Post C4K #8-11 and (Blog Assignment 14) Yasmine Special Assignment

An image of children smiling

First of all, I'd like to say that I have LOVED commenting on kids' blogs. I think it's really awesome that these teachers are pushing these children further in their educational journey and exposing them to all types of learning.

For C4K #8, I commented on the Wellington Primary School's blog. The post was on the Food Chain, and it had photos of the children using art in science to draw and represent food chains. I wrote that the food chain is definitely an important science concept to understand, and that it looked like some great group work was being accomplished.

My C4K #9 was for Miss Byrne's class, and I was assigned to Maggie's blog. She wrote an amazing post about the Chilean miners and their rescue. I was very impressed with her writing skills, and I mentioned that I thought it was equally impressive that she was up-to-date on current events of the world.

For C4K #10, I commented on Ms. Millar's 3rd Grade class blog. I was assigned to Cstre's blog, and their post was about a Kerploof picture they had made for a mnemonic (that they created on their own) about the planets. This student's mnemonic was "My Vicious Emu Made Jeff Suffer Under Nuts" and it had a picture of an emu making Jeff suffer under nuts, and then the emu exclaimed "HA-HA-HA I made you suffer under nuts!!!!!" while Jeff says "Help me!" I thought the picture was very humorous, and the mnemonic a great way to remember the order of the planets.

C4K #11 was for Mrs. Huebner's Class, and I was assigned to Asya's blog. I commented on her post about her birthday plans, which included inviting a couple of her friends over for the weekend where they would go to a water park and then hang out at a family friend's house to play tag with other kids and their dogs. I wished Asya a Happy Birthday, and then I wrote about how I also love going to water parks. I wrote that I hoped she ate as much candy as her heart desired, and that she would keep on blogging.

Instead of writing a Blog Assignment 14, our EDM 310 class commented on Yasmine's blog. Yasmine is a student who has been going above and beyond with her blog, so her teacher requested that we all visit it and leave a comment (to not only encourage Yasmine, but also her classmates). I read her post about how food allergies are so common (Yasmine has them), and that having things such as corn syrup and sugar substitutes in our food is not a good idea. Yasmine believes that more natural sugar should be used in food today, and she plans to write a letter to the First Lady about this. She asked for some advice in her post, and this was my response:


Hi, Yasmine!

My name is Amanda Brewton. I am a student in Dr. Srange’s EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, AL. I’m majoring in Elementary Education/Special Education and minoring in Spanish. In our class, we are also required to keep up with a blog. Actually, we turn in ALL of our homework, assignments, and projects by posting them on our blog. Pretty neat, huh? :)

Yasmine, I’m very impressed with how you’ve realized that action needs to be taken in order to change something. I think that this is a great idea! I also stay away from sugar substitutes. I try to stay away from any kind of substitute (for something natural) really. I would much rather have a piece of fruit than something that tastes like fruit. Plus, having natural and organic foods in your diet is another great idea, in my opinion. I agree with Malissa in that I think you should write up a petition that you get a lot of people to sign. You could ask your family members, family friends, and friends to sign it. Make sure to explain what you want them to agree with, though. Plus, you may even educate someone in the process! Maybe some people don’t know how harmful sugar substitutes can be.

Your initiative and passion are very inspiring, Yasmine. Your blog looks awesome, and I really do hope that you are successful with however you decide to contact the First Lady.

Good luck! Keep on blogging!

Amanda Brewton


*I was very impressed with Yasmine's work, and I really do hope that she continues excelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment