Sunday, October 10, 2010

Progress Report on Personal Learning Network (PLN)

A photo of a spider web
After looking at some examples of PLN's, I now have a better idea of how to build my own. So far, I have a Facebook account, a Twitter account, a blog on Blogger, a Google account (which I love), an iGoogle homepage, and I also use Delicious as a bookmarking tool whenever I come across an interesting website.

The Facebook account serves as a good socializing tool, while the Twitter account has been described as a "micro-blogging tool". On Twitter, I am following Screenr, Imogen Heap, Food Network, Giada De Laurentiis, Red Cross, Women's Health Magazine, Discovery Health, Neil Gaiman, Sarah Dessen, Room to Read, Penguin Group USA, The Met Museum in New York, and The Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. The Blogger account has been very beneficial, especially in seeing how much information (and in various forms) can be shared with anyone. The Google account has been one of my favorite tools that I've come across in this course. It has saved me an unbelievable amount of work. I really like how you can create documents, presentations, forms, spreadsheets or even drawings on Google Docs. I also liked creating the iGoogle homepage because you're able to give it that personal touch. Plus, the instructions for how to build your iGoogle homepage were simple and easy to understand.

Finally, like Carl Fisch, I would also like to consider books as part of my PLN. 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny: Life Lessons from Teaching by Phillip Done has been a good read with a lot of laughs and some good advice, I think. Plus, I think it would be really cool if I could use some of the teachings referenced in The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought of using books for a PLN, but it just seems like one of those head-slap moments now. I'm almost thinking of going in an editing my PLN to include a few books for it.

    ReplyDelete